What a cute, funny book! It's the story of a spork who feels like he doesn't fit in. He's the product of a spoon mother and a fork father "...who both thought he was perfect just the way he was." But for Spork, his differences make him feel like a misfit and he doesn't mix well with the others. The illustrations of various utensils coming to life are absolutely adorable. And the ageless story of wanting to belong will ring true for young readers.
- The social-emotional learning connection is the most obvious--how do readers connect with a character who doesn't feel like he fits in?
- Connect to other texts: This book reminds me of Spoon by Abby Rosenthal
- For reading with expression, and writing with voice, there's interesting punctuation and use of big and bold print
- Great for teaching vocabulary
- Interesting author's note that connects to text